Monday, September 22, 2014
He said such actions were an offence under the Medical Act 1971. – Bernama
SHAH ALAM, Sept 21 — The Health Ministry has spent nearly RM20 million since January this year for implementation of various dengue advocacy programmes nationwide.
Its minister, Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said the programmes were implemented to enhance public awareness on dengue and also as an approach towards reducing dengue cases in the country.
He said a total of 70,000 dengue cases had been reported in the country since January this year.
“Through integrated action by the ministry and various agencies, the number of dengue cases is showing a drop, including in Selangor and Kelantan, which had been recording high number of dengue cases,” he told reporters after attending a health programme for the 1Malaysia Indian Community here today.
On the programme, he said it was to educate and expose the Indian community on early detection of diseases. — Bernama
Thursday, September 18, 2014
PUTRAJAYA - The screening of travellers for Ebola symptoms has been further stepped up at immigration checkpoints to allay fears over the spread of the disease.
Apart from screenings conducted at the country's entry points, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said affected countries would also take up exit health screenings.
Malaysian airports will also query travellers coming from high-risk zones in a quarantine area.
Symptoms of Ebola include fever exceeding 38.6 °C, severe headache, muscle pain, vomiting and diarrhoea."Those intending to visit Malaysia from yellow fever zones, such as Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Nigeria, will be asked to produce evidence of vaccinations before they are granted a visa," Dr Subramaniam said to reporters at the ministry here yesterday.
Dr Subramaniam stressed that a person would only be at risk of Ebola if he came into contact with someone who had contracted the disease.
As such, he said it was wrong for news reports to describe the recent hospitalisation of a Zimbabwean student in Kuching as a case of suspected Ebola.
The 24-year-old has been discharged, said Sarawak's Assistant Public Health Minister Datuk Dr Jerip Susil.
The Sarawak Health Department was working closely with the Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre to ensure that the monitoring of travellers were carried out strictly, added Dr Jerip.