Monday, September 19, 2005

Nurse says sorry for blunder

Star: A staff nurse with Sungai Petani Hospital has apologised to a housewife for lifting up her sarong to the waist and raising her legs in full view of other patients.
Hospital director Dr Harif Fadzillah Che Hashim had taken the nurse to Zaini Zainol’s house at Kampung Padang Lengkuas, Kupang district in Baling on Saturday afternoon.
Zaini said the nurse had personally apologised to her and admitted that she was not quite certain with the correct procedure when attending to someone going into labour.
“While I am no longer that angry, my husband is still very upset. He will need some time to cool down,” she said yesterday.
Zaini said Dr Harif had also assured her that the hospital would provide the “best possible” treatment to make up for “its blunder” during her follow-up visit on Thursday.
“Although I feel better after Dr Harif’s assurance, my husband and I still have reservations about going back there after our horrendous experience,” she said.
“My husband has offered to take me to a private hospital for a check-up if I don’t want to return to Sungai Petani Hospital,” she added.
However, in a statement issued yesterday, Kedah State Health director Datuk Dr Zahari Che Dan denied any malpractice and claimed that treatment meted out by the nurse, the medical officer and the hospital’s obstetrics and gynaecological consultant was carried out properly.

No comments: