Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A book that helps patients deal better with cancer

NST: PETALING JAYA: "My Journal has helped me deal with the trauma of having cancer, and it has helped me to reduce stress. The guide helps me to be proactive with my treatment and it has improved my quality of life."
Forty-seven-year-old Budi Kartini was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus in April. She was among the first to receive My Journal from the oncology clinic at Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC). And she says the guidebook for cancer patients has helped her immensely, especially in dealing with the side effects of her seven sessions of chemotherapy.
Since April, 300 cancer patients at UMMC have received the free book, and another 100 copies have been donated to Kuala Lumpur Hospital.
Datuk Lim Boon Kuang, 65, who was diagnosed with oral cancer in January, said: "My Journal is a personal, informative diary that tells me of the progress of my treatment.
"It's been a relief because I've been undergoing chemotherapy for more than six months."
Officially launching My Journal yesterday, UMMC director Professor Dr Ikram Shah Ismail said, "For the first time, patients are better informed and have a base of support that will ease the burden of cancer on both the patients and caregivers."
The person behind My Journal, consultant medical oncologist Dr Cristina Ng Van Tze, said the response to the English version had been good and there were plans to translate it into Malay, Chinese and Tamil.
My Journal was developed with a grant of RM37,000 from Roche (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
Sanofi Avantis (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd gave RM11,000 for the first-ever colorectal cancer kit that comes with the guide.
Dr Ng said there were also plans to establish a Patient Advocacy Programme that will support patients and their caregivers through a core team.

No comments: