Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Doctors hit by H1N1, too

Star: MALACCA: Two doctors with the Malacca Hospital have been placed under home quarantine after developing the influenza A (H1N1) symptoms several days ago.
One of them, a 34-year-old woman doctor, was tested positive on Saturday. The woman doctor, who is attached to the hospital’s medical ward, developed a mild fever on Thursday night and sought treatment the following day when she developed breathing difficulties.
“I had mild fever but no other flu-like symptoms. However, I knew something was not right the following morning when I experienced shortness of breath,” she said when contacted at her home in Klebang.
The doctor, who was supposed to attend a dinner gathering at a hotel here on Saturday night, immediately got herself tested at the hospital.
“I was very anxious and wanted to know if I had the H1N1 flu before the dinner, as I did not want to spread it to others,” she said, adding that the results from a swab sample came back positive for the flu on Saturday morning.
She said she was immediately prescribed Tamiflu tablets and put under home quarantine until tomorrow (Wednesday).
“I am fortunate as I noticed changes in my breathing early on and sought help immediately. My condition showed a marked improvement immediately after taking the tablets,” she added.
State health director Dr Ghazali Othman confirmed the two doctors had been placed under quarantined.
Dr Ghazali also confirmed that more than 1,000 people had come to the hospital since the middle of last week to check if they had contracted the H1N1 virus.

No comments: