Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dystonia patient gets life back after surgery

NST: KOTA BARU: Three years ago, Zakaria Taib's life was turned upside down when he was diagnosed with a movement disorder called Dystonia.
Since then, the 62-year-old retired teacher suffered continuous pain with severe cramps that often left him bedridden. He even had difficulty talking.
But after undergoing a corrective surgery called Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) therapy treatment at Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital (HUSM) in Kubang Kerian on Jan 31, the father of nine is now able to walk, talk and even drive.
Zakaria was a picture of happiness when met at a press conference in HUSM yesterday.
He was accompanied by his wife Khadijah Hassan, 53, and the team of doctors who treated him, led by HUSM neurosurgeon and neuroscience department head, Professor Dr Jafri Malim Abdullah.
"I am the happiest man alive as I got my life back. Before this, I couldn't walk and talk or do simple tasks. After undergoing the DSB treatment, I can drive my car and read newspaper everyday."
He said that his wife had to quit her teaching job to take care of him.
"My wife and family had to help carry me around. I required help even for basic tasks like eating and bathing. It was very hard on them and I am grateful that they were there for me.
"Although I have not recovered 100 per cent, my condition is now much better, thanks to the doctors," he said.
Dr Jafri said Dystonia patients can undergo treatment at the hospital at less than the cost charged by private hospitals.
Since performing its first operation last year, he said they had two more patients including Zakaria.
The procedure involved inserting two electrical wires in their brain that would be connected to a battery implanted in their chest. The battery can last for five years and can be replaced.
While private practice charges around RM200,000 for the treatment, he said HUSM charged up to RM140,000 including the battery that costs RM20,000.
"So far, only HUSM offers an alternative for patients, especially from the lower income group, to get their treatment at a reasonable cost," he said.

No comments: