Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Overcoming cigarette addiction

Star: GLAXOSMITHKLINE Consumer Healthcare Sdn Bhd (GSK) recently brought the Quit Smoking Challenge to a successful close, with 13 of the 15 participants of the smoking cessation campaign reporting that they have successfully quit smoking.
Meanwhile, the other two participants greatly cut down on their cigarette intake, reducing their cigarette consumption to a maximum of two sticks daily and two sticks weekly, respectively.
“Seeing the results of the Quit Smoking Challenge, I’m very proud and delighted that so many of the participants have successfully quit smoking, far beyond my expectations, even though they faced tremendous and unexpected pressures in their personal lives.
“This shows that many Malaysians are keen to quit, but have been unaware of the comprehensive methods of quitting.
“Indeed we are hoping that we can take this programme further and help more smokers next year, using this year’s participants as ambassadors for the Quit Smoking Challenge,” said Victor Cheong, head of marketing for Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) for Malaysia and Singapore at GSK.
At the closing ceremony, certificates of participation and prizes for the best-liked weekly blog post were presented to the participants. The event was attended by the participants and their family and friends, and representatives of GSK and the agencies that organised the Quit Smoking Challenge. Some of the participants and their family members also briefly shared their thoughts on the conclusion of the Quit Smoking Challenge.
“I have failed to quit many times, but the Quit Smoking Challenge’s comprehensive combination of counselling and nicotine replacement therapy made quitting smoking a real possibility and not just an impossible dream. Now that I am cigarette-free, I no longer live in shame and try to avoid my family just to hide my smoking addiction, which I did in the past.
“I am also glad that I look fresher and younger, which is good for my modelling career,” said Mark Khor, 31, who had been a smoker for the past eight years.
“Having kicked an unhealthy addiction to smoking that has been with me for almost 30 years, I now feel motivated to take on new challenges,” said Chandrakant Gokalbhai, 48, who used to smoke two to three packs of cigarettes a day before quitting.
“Everyone tells me I look younger and I feel more energetic and younger than my age, inside and outside! I know it won’t always be smooth sailing from now on, but I will always think of my late brother when facing temptation. I did not manage to get him to quit smoking with me during his lifetime, but he was nevertheless very proud of my effort and gave me his full support. I am sad that he cannot be here to celebrate with me as he passed away recently,” Chandrakant added.
“The participants may have completed the Quit Smoking Challenge, but they now face the challenge of avoiding a relapse, and staying cigarette-free for the rest of their lives. Temptations will always be there, so I encourage everyone not to hesitate to consult the Certified Smoking Cessation Service Providers (CSCSP), who will be happy to assist. Now that everyone has achieved better fitness levels living without cigarettes, we’re looking forward to arranging a sporty get-together soon,” Cheong noted.
At the end of the ceremony, the participants revealed a surprise of their own as they presented a tarpaulin banner thanking the organisers of the Quit Smoking Challenge for the opportunity to quit smoking in a systematic programme with full pharmacist and NRT support.

The Quit Smoking Challenge
The Quit Smoking Challenge was launched on May 30, 2011, officiated by Dr Zainal Ariffin Omar, Deputy Director of the Disease Control Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
Following a call for applications, briefing sessions for shortlisted participants were held. After this, the final 15 participants were then selected from the 1,074 initial applicants.
To increase public knowledge on quitting smoking, GSK arranged a talk on ways to quit smoking by smoking cessation expert Dr Mohamed Haniki Nik Mohamed, associate professor and head of the Pharmacy Practice Department, Kuliyyah of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, International Islamic University of Malaysia.
During Ramadan, the participants enjoyed getting together for a buka puasa dinner on August 23, 2011, where everyone shared their personal journey from their beginning as a smoker to their struggles to quit smoking.
The Quit Smoking Challenge closed on October 16, 2011.
The Quit Smoking Challenge is a campaign that highlights the comprehensive methods proven to help smokers kick their cigarette addiction, including aids such as nicotine replacement therapy and behavioural counselling provided by pharmacists who are CSCSPs.
Organised with the support of the Ministry of Health Malaysia, the programme lets the public share the real-life experiences of the 15 participants in their journey to quit smoking.
The participants shared their journey towards a smoke-free life via their weekly blog posts on the official Quit Smoking Challenge website, while selected participants also shared weekly radio testimonials on Era FM and My FM.
The public were invited to follow the participants’ journey towards quitting smoking and post messages of encouragement on their official blog pages, and also “like” their favourite participant via the same blog page.
Every week, both the best message of encouragement and the participant with the most likes won attractive mystery prizes.
For detailed information on the Quit Smoking Challenge, visit quit.com.my

No comments: