Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Malaysian Breast Cancer Survivor Leaves Mark In New York

NEW YORK, Nov 7 (Bernama) -- When Ranjit Kaur Pritam Singh arrived in New York in early October as the chosen speaker on breast cancer, she hardly realised what an impact she would make not only on the Big Apple but also on the world's patients.
Ranjit delivered her piece to an audience gathered here under the aegis of the Avon Global Breast Cancer Survivors' Day on Oct 5.
Ranjit whose heart-wrenching story has moved many breast cancer victims and given hope to those who are suffering -- many in silence and despair -- spoke on behalf of the world's breast cancer survivors at a gala luncheon hosted by Avon Foundation.
The luncheon was held to honour breast cancer survivors and international breast cancer scientists in celebration of what is the second annual "Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer".
The audience at this high-profiled event held at the prestigious New York Historical Society premises included Avon scholars-research scientists from Brazil, Romania, China, Russia, Egypt, Serbia, Jordan, Turkey and Malaysia.
A spokesperson of the Avon Foundation, a public charity founded in 1955 and committed to the causes of breast cancer and domestic violence, told Bernama that Ranjit was selected because of "her courage and power of sustenance in the face of tremendous human challenges".
Ranjit, who is the president of the Malaysian Breast Cancer Welfare Association, which lists Toh Puan Raja Teh Zaitun Raja Kamarulzaman as the patron, had said in an exclusive interview in New York with Bernama that she is an eight-year breast cancer survivor.
"Although breast cancer occurs mostly in women over age 50, I got it when I was 44. Like many women, I discovered it through a breast self-examination.
"I did not know of any family or friend with breast cancer, and it was only through the education and awareness created by programmes like the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade that I knew how to do the self-examination," she said.
Ranjit, who obtained a Master's science degree in Community Disability Studies from the University College London in 1995, and works in a public affairs capacity with Tanjung Public, said that her "world came apart" when subsequently the examining doctor confirmed that she had breast cancer.
However, she wished that the doctor had given her some time to reflect rather than having her wheeled straight into the operation theatre after revealing to her that she had breast cancer.
"I was simply wheeled into the operation theatre after the doctor told me about my problem," she recalled.
"I was in a state of complete shock. I think the doctor should have given me some time to enable me to prepare myself."
She broke into tears with nobody there to console her. "Since that fateful day, I have had three operations but I would like to advise women suffering from breast cancer to also get their lymph nodes removed.
"Many Malaysian women do not know the consequences of not doing this, which can be problematic."
However, she picked up the pieces of her broken life and decided not only to bounce back but to also give courage and hope to thousands of other women suffering from the disease.
"I met Margaret Gooi, a Malaysian breast cancer survivor who gave me hope and encouragement. I regained my calmness after meeting her. I suddenly regained my confidence and got the impetus to fight the disease," she said.
Ranjit, who has not yet been cured and still undergoes treatment -- chemotherapy which has side-effects such as nausea, a heart-valve problem, etc. -- felt that she had to do something to help others and decided to join the Breast Cancer Welfare Association (BCWA).
"I was very fortunate to have access to good care, but many women in my country are not so lucky. In some parts of Malaysia, good medical care is not available or is too expensive.
"I cannot imagine what it would be like to have breast cancer and not being able to get the treatment needed," she told the Avon gathering.
She advised parents to ensure that their children are not overweight or obese. While little is known still about the exact causes of cancer, she urged parents not to feed fat to their children and make them do regular exercise.
"And women should go for a mammogram once a year. Don't tell me it's painful because the consequences of discovering cancer later can be far too painful."
She lauded the role of Avon Malaysia which has been raising funds to purchase new hospital equipment and has created programmes to help low- income women with breast cancer.
Nik Surina Suria, Avon Malaysia's public relations manager who was with Ranjit in New York, disclosed that Avon Foundation would be giving a grant to the BCWA to launch a fund-raising project.
She said that Avon was keenly following health issues of concern to women in Malaysia, particularly breast cancer.

No comments: